History of Nadapuram

​In history Nadapuram was the place which lies in between Kuttipuram Kovilakam and Kadathanad palace. The derivation of the name Nadapuram is widely known through 2 names like Nagapuram and Nadapuram (land of Music). Nadapuram is the place which is well known as part of the ballad of Kadathanad is known all over kerala. This land witnessed the padayottam of Thacholi Othenan and Unniyarcha in older times. Art forms like Dafmuttu, Aravanamuttu, Poorakkali and Kolkkali were nourished in this place.
In his book “Malayala Rajyam Charithrathodu Chernna Bhoomisathram” Hermann Gundert states about Nadapuram as the place which is two miles north east to Kuttipuram and there is a Mazjid and a market mainly concentrated on Pepper business.
Kuttipuram was part of the famous Kurumbanad Taluk and was famous for its martial arts. Now the remnant of Kuttipuram Kovilakam is only a pond with dilapidated pavement and covered with waterweed. Unniyarcha defeated ‘Jonakans’ using a wet cloth dipped in this pond.
In the older times Nadapuram was well known for its secular nature and was famous as a centre for Islamic teaching. Significant marks for its secularism can be noted from this place like Kallachi where the Kallachi Avolam road is named in the name of the Great ruler Tipu Sultan.
Nadapuram has also the awaking as part of National movement. The urge for freedom made a group of people led by Sri. Appukurup to try to make an explosion at the Nadapuram Munsif court using bomb which was under the then British rulers. The Nadapuram Munsif court was formed in the year 1910 Nadapuram has a lot of freedom fighting saga by donating its freedom warriors like Sri Rairukurup, P Krishinan Nambiar, Edavalath Kanaran master and Chingonth Kunhiraman Nair for the fight they had made for their country and made their land proud.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *